From: John Robinson <jbr100uk@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] Cannot get Speakup to work on Gentoo 10.1 Live DVD
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 22:28:10
Hi everyone.  I've just downloaded the Gentoo 10.1 live DVD, but
cannot get Speakup to work after booting into it.  I have an Intel
Dualcore PC and have tried booting the Gentoo and Gentoo64 kernels
from the DVD.  Speakup doesn't seem to work on either of them.  I have
a Dectalk USB synthesizer which I have tried using in RS232 mode like
a Dectalk Express.  At the DVD's boot prompt, I type the following:
gentoo speakup.synth=dectlk nox
I heard nothing from my Dectalk USB, but a sighted companion told me
that the system booted to a command prompt, but produced the error
"Fatal: speakup_dectlk not found" in the process.
I also tried booting with software speech and typed the following at
the DVD's boot prompt:
gentoo speakup.synth=soft nox
I heard no speech and my sighted companion informed me that the system
had again booted to a command prompt, but had produced the error
"Fatal: speakup_soft not found" during the boot process.
At the command prompt, I tried to see if Espeak was working by typing:
espeak "Hello. This is a test"
I heard nothing and unfortunately had no sighted help at that point so
don't know if an error message appeared.
At the very least, I would like to be able to use Speakup with my
Dectalk USB when booting the Gentoo 10.1 live DVD.  If you have any
advice as to why the speakup_dectlk module is not being loaded and
what I can do to cause it to load when booting the DVD, I'd be very
grateful to hear from you.