From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] speakup on gentoo
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:05:20

Hi Robert,

if you have openrc installed, you can put modules in
/etc/conf.d/modules.  Take a look at the examples in there and let me
know if you still need help setting it up.

To start a software synthesizer, just give speakup_soft the argument,

and that should bring it up.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 09:22:54PM +1200, Robert Grieve wrote:
> Greetings All > > Hubbs, great work getting modules up outside the tree. > Unfortunately this poses an additional problem for users > of the sftsyn module. Getting everything set up has lways been a bit > rough, but now all the daemons don't go either. > > As in, the old process used to be: > Build speakup into kernel,build sftsyn module > add speech-dispatcher, speechd-up to default runlevel > reboot > > This would then pull in festival, espeak, and whatever to get > speech-dispatcher up and going, make the dev nodes and whatever, > and then you could use it.This is the way it is on > gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r10, which I have been using. > > I am unclear how to make a parallel to all these steps in the new setup. > > The speakup is now only a module > The synth is still a module. This module is built as speakup_soft > Both these can be modprobed to get the dev nodes. > > I'm unsure how to make this permanant because of the new usage around > boot-up modules. There is a lot around this in the migration guide to > OpenRC, from the old baselayout-2, but now I'm not sure where to put the > modules I need, obviously speakup, speakup_soft are the ones but where > do I need to put these? > > Also of course the fact that speechd-up expects speakup to not be built > as a module means that the 'support' of sftsyn appears to be something > which once compiled cannot be started. I'm sorry to sound negative here > but, this is a brilliant system, am I missing something here. > > Many thanks > > sonofthejedi

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-accessibility] speakup on gentoo Robert Grieve <sonofthejedi@×××××××.nz>