From: Whitley CTR Cecil H <WhitleyCH.ctr@××××××××××××××××.mil>
To: "'gentoo-accessibility@g.o'" <gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] 2004.2 problem
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 04:20:28
1 Hi,
2 I brought my external dectalk express home tonight to install 2004.2 on my
3 home system. I ran into a real problem, and I don't know what would be
4 really important in a bug report.
5 I have an Asus p4c800-e deluxe motherboard with p4 3.4 and an s-ata hd. I
6 also have an USB 2.0 external IDE drive bay with an ata-100 hd which shows
7 up as /dev/sda. All went well, booted with speech, mounted drives, etc.
8 Only problem, the onboard Intel CSA Gig-e network adapter wasn't fully
9 configured. When I ran net-setup the machine locked with no speech.
10 On-screen msg was
11 disabling interupt 17
12 n interrupt not disabled
13 Or something similar (working with a 13 year old).
14
15 I searched gentoo bugs for csa (no joy) and p4c800-e deluxe (joy, but only
16 for pnpbios).
17
18 It should be noted that I used the command line
19 smp speakup_synth=dectlk
20 So the smp enabled 2.6 kernel was loaded. Prior boot I had used
21 gentoo speakup_synth=dectlk
22 But the 2.4 kernel did not fully recognize/drive the onboard sound. Since I
23 was hoping to get software speech up and running the soundcard support is
24 critical. Also, the smp support for hyperthreading is a "nice to have". is
25 the driverr version listed is 5.x.x and the Asus site has an Intel 7.0.x
26 driver for linux for the CSA adapter. It also has an ALSA 0.9.6 soundmax
27 driver. The CSA driver is listed for RH 7.3, 8, 9 and SUSE 9.0, I assume
28 this is all 2.4.x kernels? I don't want to post a bug without fully vetting
29 the problem since I assume that since there is at least one posted/fixed bug
30 for the p4c800-e deluxe that someone else is using this board with no
31 problem now. The only question that is left is are they using the onboard
32 ethernet, and if so, is this a problem specific to having speakup or
33 optionally the serial port active? Guidance please? What can I do to
34 provide the most helpfull bug report with the most accurate problem
35 description I can come up with?
36
37 Thanks,
38
39 Cecil Whitley
40
41 P.s. Since I have the universal CD, should I try patching the
42 gentoo-dev-sources kernel with the driver from the Asus site? I presume
43 that I can get all of this built without networking, if my reading of the
44 install.txt is correct?
45
46 Now, what I have noticed