From: James Homuth <james@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-accessibility] Installing gentoo (was gentoo installerand handbook)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 22:29:41
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: William Hubbs [mailto:williamh@g.o]
3 Sent: February 21, 2009 5:07 PM
4 To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Installing gentoo (was gentoo
6 installerand handbook)
7
9 Hash: SHA1
10
11 On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 04:41:16PM -0500, James Homuth wrote:
12 >
13 > No, software speech is not supported on that cd. You will need a
14 > hardware synthesizer.
15 >
16 > I thought as much, but had to make sure. And since I don't
17 > particularly feel like purchasing a hardware synth for single use, the
18 > SSH way will have to do. Gotcha.
19
20 Once you have the live cd booted and are able to ssh into the box, you can
21 just follow the installation handbook.
22
23 There is a speakup ebuild for gentoo, which I am about to update shortly, so
24 once you are in the croot with the kernel compiled and installed, you can
25 just emerge speakup and espeakup, configure espeakup to start in the default
26 run level, configure the speakup_soft module to load when you boot the
27 system, then you should be ready to go.
28
29 Let me know if you need more explanation about how to set these up.
30
31 I do have one more question, however. I'm assuming the live CD won't stay at
32 the boot prompt for long (I remember hearing something about it being 5
33 seconds or so?). I'm wondering if there's some way I'd be able to tell when
34 it reached the boot prompt. Of course if not, I can always wait for it to
35 load and change the password/start SSH the old fashion way.