From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Speakup Issue
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 18:32:34
1 On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:52:43PM -0400, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
2 > Hi all. I've been installing a Gentoo box as a hobby for the past two
3 > weeks, and I'm stuck at the reboot. I've stuck with open-rc and
4 > followed the manual through, but I can't get espeakup to work. When I
5 > emerge it, I get a warning about speakup.synth=soft not being in my
6 > kernel. So I think, okay, I'll emerge speakup and see what happens. No
7 > go: the Speakup is too old for the kernel. The kernel I compiled is a
8 > genkernel, because I didn't see the kernel maker to be real
9 > accessible, because I couldn't tell whether anything was checked or
10 > not. So, how can I get espeakup to function properly?
11
12 The first thing is that you do not emerge speakup; you need to configure
13 it in your kernel. It is part of the staging drivers.
14
15 Try adding this line to /etc/conf.d/modules:
16
17 modules="speakup_soft"
18
19 If you have espeakup installed and you are using the default kernel
20 configuration, this should work.
21
22 William