From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Does the Gentoo 2007.0 live cd release include the Speakup screen reader?
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 00:44:57

Hi John,

Yes, I believe that 2007.0 includes speakup.  The tricky part will be
starting it, since there is not an easy way to tell when the cd has
reached the boot prompt.  The only way to do this is to listen to your
cd rom drive and catch it when it stops spinning.

When you get a boot prompt, try typing this and see if it starts.

gentoo speakup_synth=dectlk speakup_ser=x

The x is the number of the serial port your dectalk usb is connected to.
Unfortunately, speakup does not support synths connected to usb ports
at this time, so you will need to be able to connect your synth to a
standard serial port.

If 2007.0 does not include speakup, go back to the last release in the
2006 series; I'm sure that one does include speakup.