From: Robert Grieve <sonofthejedi@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] speakup on gentoo
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:23:49
Greetings All

Hubbs, great work getting modules up outside the tree.
Unfortunately this poses an additional problem for users
of the sftsyn module. Getting everything set up has lways been a bit
rough, but now all the daemons don't go either.

As in, the old process used to be:
   Build speakup into kernel,build sftsyn module
   add speech-dispatcher, speechd-up to default runlevel

This would then pull in festival, espeak, and whatever to get
speech-dispatcher up and going, make the dev nodes and whatever,
and then you could use it.This is the way it is on
gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r10, which I have been using.

I am unclear how to make a parallel to all these steps in the new setup.

The speakup is now only a module
The synth is still a module. This module is built as speakup_soft
Both these can be modprobed to get the dev nodes.

I'm unsure how to make this permanant because of the new usage around
boot-up modules. There is a lot around this in the migration guide to
OpenRC, from the old baselayout-2, but now I'm not sure where to put the
modules I need, obviously speakup, speakup_soft are the ones but where
do I need to put these?

Also of course the fact that speechd-up expects speakup to not be built
as a module means that the 'support' of sftsyn appears to be something
which once compiled cannot be started. I'm sorry to sound negative here
but, this is a  brilliant system, am I missing something here.

Many thanks

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-accessibility] speakup on gentoo William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>