From: Keith Wessel <keith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-accessibility] Brltty and systemd?
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:18:35
1 Correct, and that's what I realized as I was posting to the Speakup list
2 yesterday. I'm going to double-check my motherboard manual next chance I get
3 to make sure Asus didn't sneak a serial header in there that I can use...
4 but it's not likely for this board, sadly, which I should have considered
5 when I bought it. But as long as I want speech from boot time, the USB to
6 serial route isn't going to help.
7
8 Thanks again for the suggestion though, Michael.
9
10 Keith
13 -----Original Message-----
14 From: Chris Brannon [mailto:teiresias@g.o]
15 Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 1:11 AM
16 To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
17 Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Brltty and systemd?
18
19 "Michael J. Astrauskas" <trevie@×××××.com> writes:
20
21 > Have you tried a USB-to-serial converter?
22
23 Yes, that works fine for emacspeak. I was doing that about 10 years ago,
24 before I switched to software speech. Presumably, it would also work well
25 for yasr, since it can use an emacspeak speech server.
26 However, it won't work at all for Speakup, since Speakup communicates
27 directly with the serial ports that used to be standard ON PCs.
28
29 -- Chris