From: Leonardo Boshell <leonardop@g.o>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] out-of-date ebuilds?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 11:42:34
1 On jue, 2007-03-01 at 18:56 -0800, Zachary Kline wrote:
2 > (..) I'm not terribly familiar with the Gentoo ebuild
3 > creation process, nor with who, if anyone, is supposed to maintain these. I
4 > do notice, for instance, that Orca is at 2.1 upstream and 1.00 here.
5
6 In this particular case, what happens is that Orca jumped from 1.0 to
7 2.17, to match the GNOME framework version numbers. One convention used
8 in GNOME version numbers is that releases with an odd minor version
9 (e.g. 2.13 2.15 2.17 etc) are development releases, and even minor
10 versions indicate stable releases.
11
12 Gentoo's GNOME herd usually don't add development releases to the tree;
13 if you do want to use them though, you may find ebuilds for those in the
14 GNOME overlay (see http://overlays.gentoo.org/).
15
16 GNOME 2.18 will be released soon, and we'll add a new ebuild for Orca
17 then, which is very much due since Orca 1.0 is fairly buggy :).
18
19 Thanks for the feedback, and please don't hesitate to contact us if you
20 have any suggestions or comments to improve the state of accessibility
21 packages in GNOME or Gentoo in general.
24 Regards,
27 Leonardo Boshell <leonardop@g.o>
28 Gentoo Linux
29 --