From: Robyn Dawn Hannigan <sonofthejedi@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] rfc: Accessibility on our release media
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 02:51:55
1 > I am requesting that we add the following to all of our release media
2 > for amd64 and x86:
3 Great, when? This debate has been going on and being requested for about 2
4 years now.
5
6 > My question for the group is, how do you feel about speech software
7 > being on our minimal cd as well as our live cd?
8
9 Personally, i have had the following experiences with releng:
10
11 -- They have written a great piece of software -- Catalyst -- to build
12 release media, as a result, we COULD in theory build our own.
13 -- Catalyst has no real maual, and a note to the effect that the web-
14 page is hidiously out of date.
15 -- Releng have been uncooperative in the past when i have asked them to
16 help support there own software. In fact i ended up filing a bug on
17 it for them. To give you some idea how far gone some of that code is,
18 it was in the option processing code, the simplest bit.
19 -- Releng are overworked, they're champs but they have too much to do, i
20 asked if they wanted help. My original idea when i joined this list was
21 to help them do exactly what Hubbs suggests. If not on a REAL minimal CD,
22 at least we could compikle the CD from their catalyst script and just add
23 those 4 packages.
24 -- They didn't want to know.
25
26 Conclusion: If we want this done, i suspect we've going to have to do it. Not
27 releng. They've already had to cancel one release. If worst comes to worst,
28 tell all blind people to get the ISO from us, or use the livecd.
29
30 Best wishes,
31 Robyn