From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Gentoo AMD64 live DVD and software speech
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:28:05
1 On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 09:02:18PM +0100, John Robinson wrote:
2 > Hi everyone. I've just been testing the current Gentoo AMD64 live DVD
3 > available from
4 >
5 > http://mirrors.sfo1.gni.com/Gentoo/ten/livedvd-amd64-10.0-20090909-0915.iso and have no problems when booting into it with hardware speech. I am, however, unable to get software speech to work, try as I might. Typing 'gentoo speakup.synth=dectlk nox' makes my Dectalk USB set up like a Dectalk Express work every time. When I type 'gentoo speakup.synth=soft nox' at the boot prompt, I get no speech at all. I have not filed a bug about this, because it's very probably been resolved by someone on this list who knows much more about all this than I do! Any advice about how to get software speech working when I boot this live DVD would be very much appreciated. If you need any information about my computer system, please let me know.
6 >
7 > Yours sincerely,
8
9 Hi John,
10
11 Ok, try this:
12
13 Bring it up with hardware speech, then, try something like this:
14
15 espeak 'hello, this is a test.'
16
17 That should make espeak say 'hello, this is a test.' If that works, we
18 know that alsa is being set up correctly. Let me know if this works,
19 or, if it doesn't, it is important to know what the message is you get.
20
21 Thanks,
24 William Hubbs
25 gentoo accessibility team lead