From: James Homuth <james@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-accessibility] Installing gentoo (was gentoo installerand handbook)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 22:22:17
-----Original Message-----
From: William Hubbs [mailto:williamh@g.o]
Sent: February 21, 2009 5:07 PM
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Installing gentoo (was gentoo
installerand handbook)

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 04:41:16PM -0500, James Homuth wrote:
> > No, software speech is not supported on that cd. You will need a > hardware synthesizer. > > I thought as much, but had to make sure. And since I don't > particularly feel like purchasing a hardware synth for single use, the > SSH way will have to do. Gotcha.
Once you have the live cd booted and are able to ssh into the box, you can just follow the installation handbook. There is a speakup ebuild for gentoo, which I am about to update shortly, so once you are in the croot with the kernel compiled and installed, you can just emerge speakup and espeakup, configure espeakup to start in the default run level, configure the speakup_soft module to load when you boot the system, then you should be ready to go. Let me know if you need more explanation about how to set these up. I'll do that. Although when I do decide to do this, I'll probably skip the speakup instalation and go right to installing gnome/orca. Thanks for the tips though either way.