From: Whitley CTR Cecil H <WhitleyCH.ctr@××××××××××××××××.mil>
To: "'gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o'" <gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] Software speech
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:23:40
1 Hi,
2 Well, I had success over the weekend. I ended up loading kernel
3 2.4.26-gentoo-r9 and using genkernel to create the initrd file. I still
4 need to manually intervene while booting (insmod usb-storage, echo "scsi
5 add-single-device 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi, exit, /dev/sda1), but at least
6 it will the mount /dev/sda1 as root and continue the boot process to
7 completion!
8
9 What do I need to do to configure sound? I assume that i'll need to put all
10 the sound modules into modules.autoload.d and run modules-update? Do I need
11 to emerge a mixer and the like? If so, what all packages will I need? I
12 assume that my config is oss, since alsa wasn't a config option for the
13 2.4.26 kernel. Will flite work with oss?
14
15 In summary, my question is basically where do I go from here? After sound
16 is functional, I expect to
17 emerge flite
18 emerge speechd-up
19 Will things work properly if I then
20 rc-update add flite default
21 rc-update add speechd-up default
22 or is it more complex/complicated than that? All pointers welcome!
23
24 I've found the linuxrc file and I hope to mod it so that the machine will
25 come up with no manual intervention. This is particularly important since I
26 don't expect software speech to come up until late in the boot process, is
27 this correct? In particular, is software speech available only after root
28 is mounted?
29
30 Regards,
31