From: Whitley CTR Cecil H <WhitleyCH.ctr@××××××××××××××××.mil>
To: "'gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o'" <gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-accessibility] software speech
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:36:46
Hi John,
>Cecil, >Please do report back on your findings. Also, if you have some time and >patience and have no fear of breaking things, I may get you to test out >a speech-dispatcher 5.0 ebuild. It has some problems right now so it's >not in portage, and I've had power outages due to the storms/hurricanes, >but send me an email if you're brave! That goes to anyone on list who >wants to their systems with these packages :).
- I'm not shy and I never learned to suffer in silence.... or succeed in silence either for that matter, So i'm sure that you'll hear. I look forward to having speechd-up working. Speech-dispatcher 5, that doesn't work with speakup correct? That's targeted more toward emacs isn't it? Of course, speech dispatcher may be required for speechd-up? In any case, I won't mind breaking (okay, trying) things, but if there isn't a direct impact to speakup it won't be a priority. On the other hand, i'm contemplating going back to my original partitioning scheme so emerging and testing before I wax shouldn't be a problem. I'm still learning things i should have done (or shouldn't have done) which I expected going into this. Eventually i'll have to stop transporting the Dectalk back and forth, it's just too rough on the hardware. Has anyone out there had any experience building/using a vanilla kernel under gentoo? Will I have to d/l and apply speakup manually? I'm contemplating moving up to the latest 2.6 kernel to see if hardware issues go away (see comment above about things that shouldn't be done). At this point i'm looking the biggest hammer I can find. In case ya'll haven't realized it yet, i'm playing with toys right now, not seriously dependant on gentoo running stable, although I would like to get to that point. I'll be moving in a month or so and I want a linux (any linux) system up and running then to use as a proxy on the new network. Additionally, once I get comfortable with the build process i'll be teaching my son (we home school) and I need to be proficient enough to help him out if he gets stuck. Of course, that system will be a lot older, and hopefully easier to deal with. Okay, enough rambling. Regards, Cecil

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-accessibility] software speech Kenny Hitt <kenny@×××××××××.net>