From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Gentoo AMD64 live DVD and software speech
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:01:18
Hi John,

We need the full output from the following commands:

lspci -vv

Also it would help if you can tell us which channels on your sound card
you usually unmute.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:38:23PM +0100, John Robinson wrote:
> Hi William. All my sound card channels were still muted when I started > Alsamixer. In case it's relevant, the LSPCI utility describes my sound > card as follows: > > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High > Definition Audio Controller (rev 01) > > Alsamixer reports that my soundcard is of type HDA Intel and that the > audio chip itself is a Realtek ALC883. If you need any clarification or > further details, please let me know. I would very much appreciate any > further suggestions or advice you may have. > > Yours sincerely, > > John Robinson > > > > > > On 09/10/09 22:22, William Hubbs wrote: > > On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 09:55:01PM +0100, John Robinson wrote: > > > >> Hi William and many thanks for your message. I tried exactly what you > >> suggested, booting into the live DVD and typing 'gentoo > >> speakup.synth=dectlk nox' at the boot prompt. My Dectalk USB started > >> speaking as it should, but after all Alsa modules were loaded, it > >> announced that no Alsa configuration was present and that I'd have to > >> unmute my card. Sorry I couldn't record the exact message. I then > >> launched Alsamixer, unmuting all channels and turning them up to full > >> volume. After pressing 'Escape' to save the settings, I played an MP3 > >> file with Mplayer to ensure that my card was unmuted. This file played > >> successfully. I next typed 'espeak "Hello,this is a test."' as you > >> suggested. There was no error, but I heard no speech at all. Finally, > >> I repeated the same procedure, but output the result to a Wave file. I > >> played this successfully in Mplayer. > >> > >> In conclusion, Espeak appears to be able to creat Wave files on my > >> system, but does not appear to be able to speak through Alsa, even when > >> all my sound card's channels are unmuted. I would very much appreciate > >> any advice you may have as to how to resolve this. > >> > > > > Ok John, we found this issue, and we are working on building another > > image that will allow espeak to speak through alsa. > > > > The other thing I am concerned about though is your sound card. When > > you started alsamixer was everything still muted? > > > > William > > > > > >
-- William Hubbs gentoo accessibility team lead williamh@g.o

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Gentoo AMD64 live DVD and software speech John Robinson <jbr100uk@××××××××××.com>