From: Derek Roberts <×××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility <gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] report on the latest minimal cd
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 00:01:13
Hi all,

Just downloaded the current Gentoo minimal cd
(install-x86-minimal-20100126.iso) and tried
gentoo speakup.synth=soft
I still didn't get any speech, but I found "speaker-test" and "espeak
hi" worked perfectly. I also tried this:
find / -type f -name "speakup*" | espeak --stdin
And the speakup kernel modules weren't in the list (although there was
a speakup ebuild and speakupconf). Another thing I tried was
espeakup 2> /dev/stdout | espeak --stdin
and got "unable to open the softsynth device: no such file or
directory." So it seems the speakup tools are there, but speakup
itself isn't.

Hope this helps somehow.