From: Keith Wessel <keith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-accessibility] I think gentoo hates me
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 21:55:40
1 Not sure if this helps, but the boot param to specify a synth that I've
2 always used includes an underscore, not a period. "gentoo
3 speakup_synth=ltlk" for example.
4
5 Keith
8 -----Original Message-----
9 From: Derek Roberts [mailto:bigd.vi.guy@×××××.com]
10 Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 3:46 PM
11 To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
12 Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] I think gentoo hates me
13
14 Hi,
15
16 I've been trying to get Gentoo installed virtually for a while. I'll
17 probably install it on the host too, if I can figure out what the heck
18 is going on. I've downloaded like 4 iso's and haven't been able to get
19 speech on any of them using
20 gentoo speakup.synth=soft
21 For each one, it gives me a command line but no speech, I know I get a
22 command line because
23 speaker-test
24 gives me pink noise. But I give it the control c of death and try
25 espeak hi
26 or
27 espeak
28 hi
29 I don't get any speech. Doing
30 speaker-test
31 after typing espeak and hitting enter doesn't give me pnk noise, so I
32 know I'm in espeak, it just doesn't say anything. The iso's I've tried
33 are the 10.1 dvd (which, after doing a search, I found out didn't have
34 the modules installed properly), the 2009-11-03 minimal, the 10.0 dvd
35 (which, acording to this list, has speakup working) and another
36 minimal, I forget the build date though. My latest is 10.0 and,
37 determined to get something working, I ran
38 gentoo speakup.synth=soft nox dosshd passwd=stuff
39 and accessed my vm that way. Again, I ran speaker-test and got pink
40 noise from my vm, and a lot of errors from my console (I forget what
41 they were but figure they're just because I was running the test from
42 a remote machine), then tried running
43 espeak hi
44 I got no console output and absolutely nothing from my vm. Next I tried
45 modprobe speakup
46 modprobe speakup_soft
47 Both of those gave me an error (I forget what it was, but somethign to
48 do with the module format). But, I was determined to do something with
49 it, speakup working or not, so I went through part of an install. I
50 found that the stage3 tarball and snapshots were not included (this is
51 the 10.0 live dvd, btw) so downloaded them and kept going. I got to
52 the part where you generate a kernel and not wanting to to try it
53 right then, I ran the genkernel script, but when that finished I found
54 none of my commands were showing up in the terminal window, and I
55 didn't get any output, just the livecd prompt. Anyone have any ideas?
56 This is getting rather frustrating, and I probably wouldn't have that
57 problem with the console if speakup would just work... Sorry if this
58 comes across as insulting or anything, I'm just a bit frustrated right
59 now.
60
61 Thanks.