From: Toby Fisher <toby@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Accessible install of gentoo
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 04:08:50
1 Hi.
2
3 Sorry for the delay in getting back, but from my quick scan of my email from
4 the past few days it doesn't look like you've had a response yet (if someone
5 else has and I missed it, then I appologise).
6
7 There are no docs as such for getting the Gentoo live cd to speak, however
8 once you have done so you can then follow the installation guide, with the
9 exception of the section regarding building the kernel.
10
11 First of all, if you want full speech, i.e. speaking from boot-up to
12 shutdown, then Speakup is your best choice. For a speaking install, you'll
13 most likely need one of the supported synthesisers, a list of which can be
14 found on the Speakup web site:
15 http://www.linux-speakup.org/
16 Assuming you have one of these, then all you need to do is to adapt the
17 Gentoo Handbook to your needs, i.e. if it suggests the folllowing line at
18 the boot prompt for the live cd:
19 gentoo scsi=on
20 all you need to add to that line is the entry to get speakup started; for
21 example, if you have an Apollo synthesiser as I do, then the line would
22 become:
23 gentoo scsi=on speakup_synth=apollo
24 You'll need to read the docs on the Speakup web site to find the code for
25 your synthesiser.
26
27 Once you have done this, you should find that the system will start talking
28 pretty much straightaway but you'll need to hit the control key when it
29 starts babbling about your bios, unless you're interested in that kind of
30 thing. When you're doing the install, it's recommended that you don't use
31 the genkernel package to create your kernel, but compile the kernel manually
32 (the Gentoo handbook explains how to do this). I'd recommend doing this so
33 that you can make sure your new kernel has Speakup support.
34
35 If you need any more help or have questions on this lot (I know, it's
36 probably confusing but I am writing this at 5 in the morning) please don't
37 hesitate to ask.
38
39 Cheers.
40
41 Toby
42
43 ----- Original Message -----
44 From: <jaffar@××××××××××.net>
45 To: <gentoo-accessibility@××××××××××××.org>
46 Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 5:29 PM
47 Subject: [gentoo-accessibility] Accessible install of gentoo
50 Hi. I am a blind computer user who is new to the linux platform. Is there
51 an accessible way to install gento, and are there any existing docs to help
52 me with it? Cheers!
58 No virus found in this outgoing message.
59 Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
63 gentoo-accessibility@g.o mailing list