From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] Some doubts on installing it
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 21:32:23

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:08:31PM -0300, Cleverson wrote:
> After chrooting into the System, Once I have compiled the kernel, does it sufice to emerge espeakup to have speech when booting into the new system, or is it necessary to go through setting up alsa or other sound system before?
espeakup uses whatever audio system espeak is set up to use. I recommend alsa and portaudio, so to do this, make sure that you have alsa and portaudio in your use flags after configuring alsa in the kernel. Then, emerge espeakup. That will also bring in gentoo's speakup ebuild. Once this is done, all you need to do is to set up to load the speakup_soft module automatically and add espeakup to the default run level.