From: Gaijin <gaijin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] About to try an installation...blind.
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 06:10:12
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 05:40:59PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> Actually, the issue is that speakup is not built into the kernel on > distribution media, but it is a set of external modules, similar to how > the alsa drivers were handled before they went mainline.
I'm not talking about that aspect. I know SpeakUP can be compiled in as integrated modules. I use the 1.1 version of the ltlk, 2.00 version of speakup in Shane's Debian Etch kernel, because it's the version that crashes the least and works the fastest. The latest SpeakUP builds using the ltlk module take a full second or more to begin reading the screen after pressing keypad plus. It is nice having a hardware synth available to correct problems before the software synth boots, but from all I've seen, the hardware synth modules are falling apart. Speakup crashes every time I log onto using my hardware synthesizer, Janina's Tripletalk over on the SpeakUP mailing list has stopped working, etc. To make way for software voice synthesis, SpeakUP has become a piece of junk for everything else. Karl Dahlk's Jupiter screen reader can send plaintext to the synthesizers that support that mode of operation, so I plan on compiling in both of them and seeing which is best for the console. Orca in Debian only boots every other login for me as well, which is the main reason I'm dditching Debian for anything but Redhat. I've just started hating Debian is all, I guess. Too many things not working all at the same time, from my router, to my scanner, to my DVD burner, when I'm told at all the other websites like SANE and linuxprinting, that my hardware is supported, and has been for quite some time now. Gentoo sounds like Debian used to be back in the Woody days. edbrowse in Debian is a year old, and Lenny was just frozen a couple months ago, for instance, meaning it may be another two years before it gets anything but a security patch. If Debian wants to repair antiques, that's fine. More power to them. Where accessibility is concerned, where advances in accessibility are happening every day, it's the WRONG distro to be using. Gentoo sounds like the perfect distro for keeping up with the Jones'es. Compiling code is your guy's stock and trade, and I need a computer that works. Michael

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-accessibility] About to try an installation...blind. William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>