From: mirror-maintainer@×××××××××××××.net
To: Colin Morey <peitolm@g.o>
Cc: mirror-maintainer@×××××××××××××.net, admin@g.o, st_lim@×××××.net
Subject: Re: [Gentoo-admin] Re: Removal of Archive-Update-in-Progress-mirror.averse.net requested.
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:10:04
1 On 4 Oct 2002, Colin Morey wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 12:38, mirror-maintainer@×××××××××××××.net wrote:
3 > > On 2 Oct 2002, Colin Morey wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Background: I touch a file by that name within the destination area when I
6 > > start a mirror run for all sites that I mirror, in order that users have
7 > > some way of telling that the current state of my mirror may not entirely
8 > > be in a consistent and correct state. The file is removed when the
9 > > scheduled mirror job is finished.
10 > *nods* I understand
11 > > As I don't personally use gentoo, I haven't been aware whether adding this
12 > > file would cause problems to gentoo users. Since this file causes
13 > > problems, I'll amend my mirror script so that it doesn't create this file.
14 > Due to the way the the rsync system works, any user that syncs with your
15 > mirror whilst your mirror is syncing with the main server will down load
16 > this file, obviously this is only a very small file, but it could cause
17 > our usership some concern.
18 > If you could do without the file, please do, it will make life a little
19 > easier all round.
20
21 Sure. I've already amended the script to put the file (it's also used as
22 a lock file to ensure that two mirror jobs don't run simultaneously) in
23 another location, outside my ftp/rsync tree. The file shouldn't appear
24 again.