From: "|>J |3l1ZZZ4R|> @ 4RK71K <h40Z" <blizzzard@×××××××××.net>
To: Vidok Tibor <vtibor@××××××××.hu>, gentoo-admin@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] about gentoo and compiling
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:06:40
1 You may also want to check these directories for the size issue:
2
3 /usr/portage/distfiles
4 #(this is where all the source is downloaded to... you have to clean
5 this manually)
6 /var/tmp/portage
7 #(this is where gentoo compiles the sources... it does clean all the
8 files out, but leaves the base dirs... doesn't really #affect size
9 at all but I like to keep it clean...
10
11 Cleaning out at least the /usr/portage/distfiles will significatly clear
12 up space on your system...
13
14 Vidok Tibor wrote:
15
16 >Hi all,
17 >
18 >I have two question about gentoo:
19 >
20 >1)
21 >I read this in an install howto: The bootstrap takes about 1 hour even
22 >on a fast machine... My bootsrap takes about 3 houn on Athlon
23 >XP1800+ Is that good? I think it too long. It compiles mc about half a
24 >day...
25 >
26 >2)
27 >I choose gentoo becouse I think I can choose, what i want to install.
28 >If I install mc (emerge app-misc/mc ), why does it install Xserver,
29 >Xfree86 etc. And for icewm why does it emerge gnome stuffs?
30 >How can I owerride it?
31 >I have a "new, just installed" system, with mc and icewm. it is about
32 >1Gb. Why?
33 >
34 >Thanks.
38 >--