From: Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-admin@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-admin] confine process on SMP system
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 22:53:11

Can someone tell me if it's possible to assign a certain task to a certain
processor and keep it there (lock it)?

There is a C++ code that runs on my dual processor system (with
hyperthreading).  4 processors are seen by Linux.  When one instance of
the code runs, everything is fine.  When 2 instances, it is also ok.  But
when 3 or 4 instances of the code run simultaneously, they crash my
machine.  I think this is a scheduling issue.  I have seen these processes
jump to a different processor in the midst of execution.  This could be a
problem, if two processes collide.

What do you think is the best way to deal with such an issue?  I only have
this happen with the C++ code.  When I ran 4 simultaneous instances of C
code for 7 hours, the system remained stable.

Thanks in advance!