From: Daniel Faber <mail@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] shared gentoo linux hosting
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:01:26
On 13/10/05 17:28, Dmitry Lukashin wrote:

>>With ability to modify apache config & crontab for user using ssh >>access? > > Try to use <VirtualHost></VirtualHost> for each user in separate file. > And change permission on that file to user you want allow editing it.
Don't do that unless you fully trust your users. If they can modify (parts of) the apache config without any control, they will be able to do bad things with apache's permissions. They can easily change any file apache has write access to by just use such a file as logfile for their vhost, for example. I'm not an apache expert, but I think there are a lot more possibilities to do bad things :-) Maybe they can load self written apache modules and then they will be able to do _anything_ apache can do.
> Same with crontabs
Common cron daemons use separate crontabs for each user, you don't have to do anything to get the desired functionality. Daniel