From: "Jörg Vorher" <info@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] Newbie admin - help with mysql
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 13:50:26
1 WIR MÖCHTEN VON IHNEN KEINE WEITEREN EMAILS ODER WERBUNG ERHALTEN
5 WIR MÖCHTEN VON IHNEN KEINE WEITEREN EMAILS ODER WERBUNG ERHALTEN
6 WIR MÖCHTEN VON IHNEN KEINE WEITEREN EMAILS ODER WERBUNG ERHALTEN
7
8 WIR MÖCHTEN VON IHNEN KEINE WEITEREN EMAILS ODER WERBUNG ERHALTEN
19 ----- Original Message -----
20 From: "Brian Kroth" <bpkroth@××××.edu>
21 To: <gentoo-admin@l.g.o>
22 Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 4:24 PM
23 Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] Newbie admin - help with mysql
27 > Maurice E Johnson wrote:
28 > > But wouldn't an attempt to install an app dependent on mysql
29 > > potentially succeed eroniously? What I'm trying to see - and
30 > > education is always a good thing - is that in order to truely block
31 > > mysql, you would need something a bit more complex than an entree in
32 > > /etc/portage/package.provided.
33 > >
34 > > Something in addition? like:
35 > >
36 > > equery --nocolor hasuse mysql|awk '{print ">="$1}' >
37 > > </etc/portage/package.provided|/etc/portage/package.mask>
38 > >
39 > > to avoid the consequences of basically saying that it's there when
40 > > it isn't?
41 > >
42 > > I have read the man page, but it doesn't seem to address the
43 > > consequenses down the road for this condition.
44 >
45 > I don't think it necessarily should. By putting something in
46 > packages.provided you're telling portage that you've taken care of that
47 > package manually, so it can assume that the dependency has been
48 > fulfilled. If at some point down the road your system runs into
49 > compile or dependency problems you know where to look.
50 >
51 > Just to clarify the situation though - you're installing mysql manually,
52 > and trying to emerge mytop or something else that generally needs mysql
53 > as a dependency, and you just want it to use your custom built one
54 > rather than ever emerging portage's stock mysql, correct?
55 >
56 > Another option, although probably one that requires more work, would be
57 > to make an ebuild for your custom built mysql, include it in the local
58 > overlay and as an added precaution so that you know when a new version
59 > is out mask all higher versions. Then "emerge <whatever it is that
60 > needs mysql>" should work just as if it were using the stock mysql.
61 > Actually you could probably do the second part in conjunction with
62 > packages.provided rather than creating an ebuild.
63 >
64 > The downside is that whenever your dependent package's requirements
65 > changed you would most likely get errors about mysql being masked, and
66 > you'd have to do some conf tweaking again. The upside is that you'd be
67 > notified and it wouldn't be emerging mysql.
71 > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
72 > >
73 > > Subject:
74 > > Re: [gentoo-admin] Newbie admin - help with mysql
75 > > From:
76 > > Brian Kroth <bpkroth@××××.edu>
77 > > Date:
78 > > Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:15:45 -0500
79 > > To:
80 > > gentoo-admin@l.g.o
81 > >
82 > > To:
83 > > gentoo-admin@l.g.o
86 > > Joseph Drake wrote:
87 > >> I think this will result in failed dependencies.
88 > >>
89 > >> Johnson, Maurice E CTR NSWCDL-K74 wrote:
90 > >>> try
91 > >>>
92 > >>> echo "dev-db/mysql" >>/etc/portage/package.mask
93 > >
94 > > Exactly, that's why /etc/portage/package.provided was created. The
95 > > previous solution was correct. Namely:
96 > >
97 > > >> You could try something like:
98 > > >>
99 > > >> echo "dev-db/mysql-4" >> /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
100 > >
101 > > "man portage" for more more info.
102 > >
103 > >>>
104 > >>>
105 > >>> -----Original Message-----
106 > >>> From: Con Tassios [mailto:ct@××××××××.au] Sent: Wednesday, September
107 > >>> 20, 2006 23:20
108 > >>> To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
109 > >>> Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] Newbie admin - help with mysql
110 > >>>