From: Damon Conway <kabau@g.o>
To: admin@g.o
Subject: Re: [Gentoo-admin] Rsync minimum connection limits
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:10:43
1 So does you guys have any thoughts or opinions on this subject?
2
3 kabau
4
5 On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 08:08:44PM -0500, Damon Conway wrote:
6 > On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 12:22:38AM +0100, Colin Morey wrote:
7 > > Do we have a defined number of minimum connections a server should
8 > > allow? or are we basing on an had hoc basis, based upon transit and
9 > > availability as well?
10 >
11 > That is an excellent question, and one I've yet to find a good answer
12 > for. It is my opinion that we cannot afford to be too picky when
13 > someone offers their services to us, but it also doesn't help to have
14 > servers out there that can't perform. Unfortunatly, I've been too busy
15 > with life to give this matter much thought.
16 >
17 > The way I see it, we have three basic requirements for rsync mirrors.
18 >
19 > 1. Enough available bandwidth to serve a substantial amount of data.
20 >
21 > 2. Accurate and timely data.
22 >
23 > 3. Sufficient number of simultaneous logins to allow enough people to
24 > actually use the mirror.
25 >
26 > I would suggest that the mirror have at least a T1 of available
27 > bandwidth. It doesn't have to dedicate the entire T1 to rsync
28 > mirroring, but if all they have is ISDN, DSL, or cable, then they aren't
29 > going to be pleased with rsync using all of their bandwidth. I would
30 > suggest a minimum 128kb/s of available bandwidth for rsync bandwidth on
31 > a mirror. This number would be better at 256kb/s, but 128kb/s should be
32 > usable.
33 >
34 > Some method needs to be developed for making sure that mirrors are updated
35 > in a timely fashion, and have accurate copies of the master. There have
36 > been several reports of out-of-date and bad data on mirrors. Right now,
37 > we have people updating their mirror every 30 minutes on the 0 and 30.
38 > This will quickly become inadequate if we continue to grow our number of
39 > mirrors. Keeping an infrastructure like this healthy as it grows will
40 > probably be the biggest task this admin team will face. I have lots of
41 > ideas on this, but they can wait until we get some basic parameters down
42 > for mirrors. Right now, it should be sufficient to develop an automated
43 > system that checks for inaccurate and out of sync mirrors.
44 >
45 > The third item seems to be the big point everyone is interested in, and
46 > in my opinion the least of our worries. However, I'm tired of hearing
47 > people whine about it so I've given it some thought. This ties into
48 > item one since the more people you have using a server, the more
49 > bandwidth you need. I think we should have ratios of bandwidth to
50 > max concurrent users. Maybe 5 users for every 128kb/s of available
51 > bandwidth. Basically, to determine these numbers we need to determine
52 > the average user's rsync transfer, and come up with an average sustained
53 > data rate for an rsync transfer.
54 >
55 > Now, these are just my opinions. What do y'all think?
56 >
57 > Damon/kabau
61 > Gentoo-admin mailing list
62 > Gentoo-admin@g.o