From: Brian Kroth <bpkroth@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] Newbie admin - help with mysql
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:26:08
1 Maurice E Johnson wrote:
2 > But wouldn't an attempt to install an app dependent on mysql
3 > potentially succeed eroniously? What I'm trying to see - and
4 > education is always a good thing - is that in order to truely block
5 > mysql, you would need something a bit more complex than an entree in
6 > /etc/portage/package.provided.
7 >
8 > Something in addition? like:
9 >
10 > equery --nocolor hasuse mysql|awk '{print ">="$1}' >
11 > </etc/portage/package.provided|/etc/portage/package.mask>
12 >
13 > to avoid the consequences of basically saying that it's there when
14 > it isn't?
15 >
16 > I have read the man page, but it doesn't seem to address the
17 > consequenses down the road for this condition.
18
19 I don't think it necessarily should. By putting something in
20 packages.provided you're telling portage that you've taken care of that
21 package manually, so it can assume that the dependency has been
22 fulfilled. If at some point down the road your system runs into
23 compile or dependency problems you know where to look.
24
25 Just to clarify the situation though - you're installing mysql manually,
26 and trying to emerge mytop or something else that generally needs mysql
27 as a dependency, and you just want it to use your custom built one
28 rather than ever emerging portage's stock mysql, correct?
29
30 Another option, although probably one that requires more work, would be
31 to make an ebuild for your custom built mysql, include it in the local
32 overlay and as an added precaution so that you know when a new version
33 is out mask all higher versions. Then "emerge <whatever it is that
34 needs mysql>" should work just as if it were using the stock mysql.
35 Actually you could probably do the second part in conjunction with
36 packages.provided rather than creating an ebuild.
37
38 The downside is that whenever your dependent package's requirements
39 changed you would most likely get errors about mysql being masked, and
40 you'd have to do some conf tweaking again. The upside is that you'd be
41 notified and it wouldn't be emerging mysql.
45 > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
46 >
47 > Subject:
48 > Re: [gentoo-admin] Newbie admin - help with mysql
49 > From:
50 > Brian Kroth <bpkroth@××××.edu>
51 > Date:
52 > Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:15:45 -0500
53 > To:
54 > gentoo-admin@l.g.o
55 >
56 > To:
57 > gentoo-admin@l.g.o
60 > Joseph Drake wrote:
61 >> I think this will result in failed dependencies.
62 >>
63 >> Johnson, Maurice E CTR NSWCDL-K74 wrote:
64 >>> try
65 >>>
66 >>> echo "dev-db/mysql" >>/etc/portage/package.mask
67 >
68 > Exactly, that's why /etc/portage/package.provided was created. The
69 > previous solution was correct. Namely:
70 >
71 > >> You could try something like:
72 > >>
73 > >> echo "dev-db/mysql-4" >> /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
74 >
75 > "man portage" for more more info.
76 >
77 >>>
78 >>>
79 >>> -----Original Message-----
80 >>> From: Con Tassios [mailto:ct@××××××××.au] Sent: Wednesday, September
81 >>> 20, 2006 23:20
82 >>> To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
83 >>> Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] Newbie admin - help with mysql
84 >>>