From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] KVM guest system installation
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 07:33:33
On Fri, 15 May 2009 22:35:12 +0200
"Reber, Simon" <linux@×××××××.ch> wrote:

> But we now coming to the point where we want to install virtual guest > systems to some of the systems. > Since the servers are kept very basically do we not have any X packages > installed, nor do we plant to. > But from documentation and experience point of view, does it look like > that we exactly do require something like that. > > So my question is, is there any way to install a guest system using KVM > without having X system packages installed or a monitor plugged on? > Meaning booting up the guest system, connecting from the localhost > using some kind of serial console or something like that to connect to > the particular virtual guest and run the installation task?
I don't know what kind of documentation you've been reading, but there's no real need for X (especially X-server) on the machine to deply/use kvm guests there. If there's need for a graphical install (like MS Windows), you can use VNC, otherwise ncurses-based interface should suffice to display both bios data and text terminal, just append "-curses" flag to kvm line. Of course, all these features should be enabled via use-flags. And if you still want X for some reason, you can use sdl-based graphical output thru X-forwarding, with a few additional libs (and X flag enabled for ssh/sdl). Just an example of kvm start: exec kvm \ -name "$VM" \ -cpu core2duo \ -smp 8 \ -m "$MEM" \ -drive file=/dev/mapper/vm_root-$VM,if=virtio \ -drive file=/dev/mapper/vm_swap-$VM,if=virtio \ -net nic,vlan=0,model=virtio,macaddr="XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X$SN" \ -net vde,vlan=0,sock=/var/run/vde/vde.ctl \ -localtime \ -kernel /boot/vmlinuz_vm32 \ -append 'root=/dev/vda gentoo=nodevfs' \ -daemonize \ -nographic \ # -monitor "telnet:${SN},server,nowait" \ # -vnc ":$SN" \ # -curses \ vnc or curses lines (or both) here can be swapped w/ "-nographic" option to enable graphical remote access. And you can control every non-software aspect of VM via "-monitor" interface. Of course, you won't need any of it as soon as you'll have sshd running. And I find it much easier to do the basic deployment by cloning desired FS (or stage3) to VM partition, chrooting there, doing all the necessary fine-tuning or compilation then booting VM from there into fully operational (boot-and-forget) state. Trick here is not to accidentally mount VM partition if it's (still) running, since that might cause severe fs corruption. -- Mike Kazantsev //