From: "Lech Pańkowski" <lpank.gm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-admin] Old Gentoo upgrade
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 08:48:44
1 Hello,
2 I was asked to upgrade a Gentoo server. It probably was not updated
3 for a few years. There is 10.0 profile with portage 2.1.6.7. After
4 every 'emerge' there is a suggestion to upgrade to 13.0 profile.
5 I am fairly novice to Gentoo, and this server is constantly being used (e-mail).
6
7 First I started with:
8 # emerge --sync
9 # emerge -1av sys-apps/portage
10 There was a message:
11 emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-lang/python:2.7".
12 dependency required by "sys-apps/portage-2.2.7" [ebuild]) (dependency
13 required by "portage" {argument])".
14
15 Supposing that my installation is too old to upgrade that way I
16 decided to follow strictly method described at
17 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_Gentoo#Updating_old_systems
18
19 Stage3 was downloaded from
20 http://gentoo.mirror.pw.edu.pl/releases/x86/current-stage3/)
21 Unfortunately, after the last command from this guide:
22 # ROOT=/mnt/host emerge -1v portage
23 there are many messages such as:
24
25 !!! Section 'gentoo' in repos.conf has location attribute set to
26 nonexistent directory: '/usr/portage'
27 !!! Section 'x-portage' in repos.conf has location attribute set to
28 nonexistent directory: '/usr/portage'
29 !!! Invalid Repository Location (not a dir): '/usr/portage'
30 ....
31 !!! /etc/portage/make.profile is not a symlink and will probably
32 prevent most merges.
33 !!! It should point into a profile within /usr/portage/profiles/
34
35 I felt completly lost. I found repos.config only in
36 /mnt/build/usr/share/portage/config, but there is no 'x-portage'
37 section.
38
39 Is there something wrong with this guide?
40 May I ask for any hint what to do next, and more generally - how to do
41 the upgrade in the safest possible way?
42
43 English is a foreign language for me, so please forgive my language
44 mistakes (if any).
45
46 Every remark will be highly appreciated.
47 With many thanks in advance,
48 Leszek Pankowski