From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] Distributed administration of gentoo - easy or hard?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:02:38

I have been working on setting up a build host recently for similar reasons.
I have a network of Gentoo servers in production environments and I am
running a non-production workstation with Gentoo.  It will be very beneficial
not to have my network slow to a crawl everytime I want to update packages.

I am in the progress of setting it up and learning a lot about what can and
can't be done.  I have been referencing these documents:

This one helped with setting up CCACHE and BINHOST:

This one describes simply providing binary packages across the network:

This one describes the process of actually setting up a build host:

I must say though, please take these last 2 documents with a grain of salt.  I
am finding some inefficiencies (possibly due to outdated content) in how they
are setup as well as mentioning half-truths on how it can be setup
(unforeseen pitfalls that can be prevented using your head and doing some

Just my 2 cents...  This is going to be the least hassle if all of the
machines you build binary packages for use the same make.conf.  If that is
the case, you can just use "buildpkg" in FEATURES variable, or run quickpkg
on packages you've already built.

On the other hand, if you use 2+ different make.conf configurations then it is
likely that you'll need to emerge each app twice.  The main reason for this
is because of the processor architecture.  Another good reason though is the
USE flags.  Perhaps you can set them up the same?

In my setup, unfortunately, I am having to setup a separate build environment.
Basically, my build host is a different arch all together than my servers, so
I'm creating scripts to copy various files into the build environment and
mount /usr/portage, etc.  Then I chroot in.  This build environment was built
from a stage1 tarball, bootstrapped and then an "emerge -e system" was

I'm almost to the point where I can distribute the packages for testing.  Let
me know if you want to know more on my specific setup.  I can also provide
scripts if anyone is interested.

A possible alternative may be to setup distcc, more information can be found

Robert Larson