From: Jeremy Brake <gentoolists@×××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] Distributed administration of gentoo - easy or hard?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:00:49
1 Andrew Kesterson wrote:
2
3 > I've recently begun admining a few gentoo boxes in a distributed
4 > setting (mainly boxes that my friends asked me to set up for them on a
5 > personal, at-home basis.) I'm noticing that while portage makes
6 > updates alot smoother, compiling them takes forever, especially on
7 > initial installations. OpenOffice installs and updates are
8 > particularly heinous.
9 > How do you guys handle this? Do you configure all your systems the
10 > same, and set up a binary package host on the system somewhere for
11 > them to fetch binaries from? Or do you just use straight portage?
12
13 Hey Andrew.
14
15 In a number of instances, you are better off just using the binarys in
16 portage for a standard desktop user. OpenOffice can take hours to
17 compile.. or you can just install the binary in 5 mins, and the supposed
18 loss of optimisation is unnoticable. openoffice-bin, mozilla-firefox-bin
19 and mozilla-thunderbird-bin are always installed on my machine, and with
20 the regularity of updates released on them, I'm thankful (and this is on
21 an Athlon 64 3500.)
22
23 There is also azureus-bin, mplayer-bin, crossover-office-bin and a whole
24 heap of others which could be useful in some places. I am very fond of
25 use flags etc, but a lot of the time the defaults on these apps work
26 fine, so its worth while.
27
28 If I were doing this, I would probably add things like kde, gnome, and X
29 to package.mask (?) after installing, to "lock" them to the version
30 you've installed. Then you can run "emerge -uavD world" jobs and not
31 worry about it taking 15 hours. All you'd have to do is keep an eye out
32 for bigger releases on the packages you've masked, and remember to
33 update them (whether this be directly on Portage, DistCC, or some other
34 method). It's a waste of time updating something like X just because a
35 bugfux you're not affected by has been released, so just leave it until
36 a substantial update comes out. It can also be useful to wait a couple
37 of days after a release comes out, because you'll be snarling if you
38 update a huge package on a dozen machines, and then a day later it gets
39 updated again, or even revoked.
40
41 I'd also cron a once-weekly "emerge --quiet --sync && emerge -upvD
42 world" to be emailed to you from each box. It will automate the syncing,
43 and help you keep an eye on the updates.
44
45 Disclaimer: Most of my idea's relate directly to maintaining a
46 workstation for someone else who isnt savvy enough to do it themselves,
47 and therefore wont notice the small things.
48
49 Cheers
50 Jeremy
54 gentoo-admin@g.o mailing list