From: "J.A." <HEBLACK@×××××××××××.COM>
To: gentoo-admin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-admin] system audit
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:02:42
Re: [gentoo-admin] system audit

Thanks for the leads.

I found a couple scripts at script repository
which show a lot of dependency and reverse dependency

pkdep --- Removes unused dependencies for packages.
unclepine --- Reverse dependencies tool.

Now the small problem I have here is not being able
to enter some regular expressions into the command
line under bash.

Any regex containing ! or | operators seem to get
interpreted by bash as a bash operator. This could
be avoided by putting the regex into a (perl?) file
but then I would have to memorize a bunch of stupid
little file scripts or create a stupid little file
containing the script every time.

Here is one little example that doesn't work:

# Filter everything except lines containing
# token1 or token2
locate something | grep token1|token2

# Do not display lines with token3:
locate something | grep !token3

grep has a -v option which is the same as a regex
!token3 but I can't figure out how to then get grep
to recognize inverting more than one token such as

The examples above are trying to filter
administrative commands so that the output is easier
to scroll through.

For instance locate is an administrative command
since it can only be run from root. That is why I am
posing this here to this mail list. The gentoo-users
list is flooded with too many emails. If the
question involves root then should it not be sent
here instead of to gentoo-users?

Thanks. Can anybody help filter output on the
command line? I did a lot of searching already.