From: Chris Smith <×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-admin@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-admin] Re:GWN email formatting
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:45:36
On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 03:10, Tristan wrote:
> Is there any particular reason why the GWN does this, other than because > that's what the DWN does? Would it be possible to have it changed to the > clearer, more conventional method?
Yes, there is a specific reason IIRC. Sorry to be so general, but I believe the letter is written in XML, therefore you only need to write one version of the newsletter, then that can be translated, displayed as a web page (with hyperlinks and coloured regions of text as is the Gentoo default) or just as easily sent as a Plain Text email (because not everybody likes HTML mail, it can be annoying and insecure) with links as footnotes to the text. You'll probably find that the DWN also has a similar setup with XML, as does Slashdot and a few other email newsletters. I guess a solution to this would to be able to have an option to recieve HTML mail (complete with hyperlinks) or Plain Text. Hope I could help, Chris. -- gentoo-admin@g.o mailing list