From: Chris Smith <chris.rs@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-admin@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-admin] Re:GWN email formatting
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:45:36
1 On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 03:10, Tristan wrote:
2 > Is there any particular reason why the GWN does this, other than because
3 > that's what the DWN does? Would it be possible to have it changed to the
4 > clearer, more conventional method?
5
6 Yes, there is a specific reason IIRC. Sorry to be so general, but I believe
7 the letter is written in XML, therefore you only need to write one version of
8 the newsletter, then that can be translated, displayed as a web page (with
9 hyperlinks and coloured regions of text as is the Gentoo default) or just as
10 easily sent as a Plain Text email (because not everybody likes HTML mail, it
11 can be annoying and insecure) with links as footnotes to the text.
12
13 You'll probably find that the DWN also has a similar setup with XML, as does
14 Slashdot and a few other email newsletters.
15
16 I guess a solution to this would to be able to have an option to recieve HTML
17 mail (complete with hyperlinks) or Plain Text.
18
19 Hope I could help,
20 Chris.
24 gentoo-admin@g.o mailing list