From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Re: Problem with bootstrap today (10/29/03 14:00)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:26:27

Hope you don't mind; I'm moving this to the gentoo-alpha list.

Jay Estabrook wrote:[Wed Oct 29 2003, 03:25:09PM EST]
> I finally gave up trying to get my XP1000 system to build an XFree86 > that didn' have those ELF relocate messages - after attempts at > rebuilding GCC, and removing (one at a time) -O3 and -mieee and > -mcpu=ev6 all failed to help out.
Right, it looks like we need an update to the xfree loader to fix this.
> So, I started a new install and well into the "script/" > phase (after gcc, doing glibc I assume) saw: > > ... > Assembler messages: > linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/alpha/vfork.S: 63: Error: can't resolve > '0' {.text section} - 'L0' {.text section} > ... > sys-libs/glibc-2.3.2-r1 failed.
The problem here is that you're using a newer version of gcc than expected. (Not that this is your fault; it's probably a problem in or in KEYWORDS). The versions of glibc in the portage tree have some bad assembly which compiles with the older gcc but not wiht the newer gcc. Originally I "fixed" this problem by demoting the stable version of glibc on alpha. This was a bad idea, though, because it broke lots of existing installations when glibc downgraded. The alternative fix was to restrict the version of gcc. This is a safer fix. In reality we're just waiting for the most recent glibc fixes to hit the portage tree since they solve the assembly problems.
> Any ideas?
What version of gcc do you have installed? qpkg -I -v gcc Aron -- Aron Griffis hp Linux and Open Source Lab Key fingerprint = 4601 AE87 379D A917 BA62 5263 C284 0366 5E6A 3C6B

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-alpha] Re: Problem with bootstrap today (10/29/03 14:00) Marc Giger <gigerstyle@×××.ch>