From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Re: Problem with bootstrap today (10/29/03 14:00)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:26:27
1 Jay,
2
3 Hope you don't mind; I'm moving this to the gentoo-alpha list.
4
5 Jay Estabrook wrote:[Wed Oct 29 2003, 03:25:09PM EST]
6 > I finally gave up trying to get my XP1000 system to build an XFree86
7 > that didn' have those ELF relocate messages - after attempts at
8 > rebuilding GCC, and removing (one at a time) -O3 and -mieee and
9 > -mcpu=ev6 all failed to help out.
10
11 Right, it looks like we need an update to the xfree loader to fix this.
12
13 > So, I started a new install and well into the "script/bootstrap.sh"
14 > phase (after gcc, doing glibc I assume) saw:
15 >
16 > ...
17 > Assembler messages:
18 > linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/alpha/vfork.S: 63: Error: can't resolve
19 > '0' {.text section} - 'L0' {.text section}
20 > ...
21 > sys-libs/glibc-2.3.2-r1 failed.
22
23 The problem here is that you're using a newer version of gcc than
24 expected. (Not that this is your fault; it's probably a problem in
25 bootstrap.sh or in KEYWORDS). The versions of glibc in the portage
26 tree have some bad assembly which compiles with the older gcc but not
27 wiht the newer gcc.
28
29 Originally I "fixed" this problem by demoting the stable version of
30 glibc on alpha. This was a bad idea, though, because it broke lots of
31 existing installations when glibc downgraded.
32
33 The alternative fix was to restrict the version of gcc. This is a safer
34 fix. In reality we're just waiting for the most recent glibc fixes to
35 hit the portage tree since they solve the assembly problems.
36
37 > Any ideas?
38
39 What version of gcc do you have installed? qpkg -I -v gcc
40
41 Aron
44 Aron Griffis
45 hp Linux and Open Source Lab
46 Key fingerprint = 4601 AE87 379D A917 BA62 5263 C284 0366 5E6A 3C6B