From: Andrew Gaylard <ag@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] emerge failure revisited
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 14:37:13
1 On 07/11/13 04:41, Don Wilburn wrote:
2 > A couple weeks ago, I reported that emerge gentoo-sources was failing.
3 > It magically worked once, so I quit yapping.
4 >
5 > This was in the context of a fresh install, from the Gentoo CD boot.
6 > The fix seems to be enabling a swap device, which I don't think is in
7 > the instructions.
8 >
9 > It was a fluke that I came to this conclusion, but it works.
10 > I switched to a second PWS500 (almost identical) to eliminate crazy
11 > hardware as a possibility.
12 > I didn't think portage/emerge was such a hog that 256MB RAM was too
13 > little. BTW, my first machine had 384MB.
14 >
15 > I'm not going to formally report this as a bug, but I think something
16 > is wrong. Maybe it only affects weakling Alphas like mine?
17 > I don't follow the alternative architectures forum. Maybe if someone
18 > shows up there with this problem, you can suggest swapon.
19 >
20 > Adios, DW
21 >
22 I haven't seen any error messages, but in today's world, it's really a
23 good idea to run GCC with at least 1GB of (virtual) memory. My alpha
24 has 512MB, so I make sure that my swap is 2GB. I strongly recommend you
25 do likewise, disk space permitting.
28 Andrew