From: "Bryan Østergaard" <kloeri@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] glibc 2.5+
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 15:06:30
On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 04:01:15PM +0200, Davide Cittaro wrote:
> Hi all, I've found that glibc 2.5+ cannot be compiled on my alpha, as > reported on gentoo bugzilla by another person. > > > > I have a couple of questions, then: > 1- it is safe to use '-nptlonly' flag?
Not really. In the past we've found Linuxthreads to be unstable and nptlonly is much preferred for that reason (we had programs randomly crashing with Linuxthreads and no problems with NPTL).
> 2- when the patched glibc will be available in portage (comment 2 of > that bug has been posted one week ago)?
As soon as glibc upstream fixes the problem. Meanwhile you have two different options. 1. Upgrade to binutils >= and risk possible unknown bugs from doing so. 2. Ignoring glibc-2.5 updates until upstream fixes the issue. My recommendation would be to wait and not try to work around the issue yourself. Regards, Bryan Østergaard -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-alpha] glibc 2.5+ Davide Cittaro <davide.cittaro@×××××××××××××××.it>