From: mathewt@××××××.com
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] As2000 update
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:12:09
1 Hello all,
2
3 I had posted a few weeks back requesting help with installing
4 on a AS/2000 and had promised to get back with how it went
5
6 this is how I did it, there are probably mistakes/ better ways
7 of doing this, I would be interested in hearing any comments
8
9 to recap, I could boot the system wiht 1.4 CD, but not with the
10 2005.0 one. Since I was not sure if I could use a 2005.0 stage
11 after booting with 1.4 kernel/glibc etc., I used stage 2 from
12 1.4 to install the basic packages. the gentoo documentation
13 was a great help here
14
15 after getting a current portage snapshot and linking to 2005.0/2.4
16 profile, emerge (from 1.4) would fail with message
17 >> update type "slot move" not recognized
18
19 after much trial and error, linking to default-alpha-2004.0
20 allowed emerge to go forward but with a whole bunch of warnings/
21 errors. this allowed update to portage, python and I coudl link to
22 2005.0/2.4 and emerge would go forward after manually putting
23 in a world file (it helped to have a x86 gentoo system for
24 reference to figure out file locations etc. here)
25
26 initially I was using the CD to boot and then chrooting, and then
27 I just copied over the kernel/initrd/modules from the 1.4 CD and
28 used that as the entry in aboot.conf. compiling a current kernel
29 was a challenge since each new try could go over 2 hours, before
30 I eventually reduced the kernel config ot a minimum (this has only
31 128M) and still get it to boot
32
33 once that hurdle was over, updating the system was the next step.
34 here the problem was that random segmentation faults would happen
35 and the emerge would stop in between. eventually over many retries
36 most of the system was updated and there was a binutils update
37 and glibc update. trying to ugrade these actually led to more
38 frequent errors. one approach that worked better here (for me) was
39 to use "ebuild xyz.ebuild compile install qmerge" which updated the
40 pkg with fewer faults (typically)
41
42 one issue possibly was that I had -mcpu=ev45 in the CFLAGS since
43 /proc/cpuinfo gave cpu as ev45. changing it to ev5 seemed to have
44 improved the random failures
45
46 repeating the process eventually got most of the pkgs compiled with
47 the new binutils and am now trying to redo binutils/gcc/glibc
48 to make sure that is stable. assuming that goes fine, next step
49 would be to move to 2.6 kernel
50
51 few points that I noted on the way
52
53 gcc-3.3.2-r7 seem to ignore the -fortan USE flag and installs g77
54 anyway
55
56 glibc update, when it went through fully and started to remove the
57 build directory it caused filesystem issues and gave messages such
58 as "journal aborted" etc and next reboot forced an fsck which needed
59 manual intervention to clean up the system (ext3). I haven't tried
60 with features="keepwork" to see if this can be avoided
61
62 thanks for reading this far, all comments are appreciated
63
64 best regards, Mathew
68 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list