From: Marc Giger <gigerstyle@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] alpha newbie question
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:03:49
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:42:35 -0500
4 "Nick Smith" <nick.smith79@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > On 3/2/06, Ben de Luca <bedel@×××××××.net> wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > > I don't know if the bootloader can boot off ext3 partitions; I've
9 > > > never
10 > > > tried. You'll have to dig into the docs to find out.
11 > >
12 > > ext3 is ext2 with a journal. so if it can see ext2 it can see ext3
13 > > --
14
15 Wow, 10 mails in one day! Is this a new record for this list?:-)
16
17 I just want to say that it is relatively easy to boot from a software
18 raid1. Since the discs are bitwise mirrored, you can mount a single
19 partition directly. This is also the trick behind booting from a raid0
20 array. It doesn't boot from raid but reads just a single partition from
21 the raid. I should mention that you shouldn't mount a part from the
22 array read-write...
23
24 My setup is as following:
25
26 /dev/md0 on / type xfs (rw)
27 proc on /proc type proc (rw)
28 sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
29 udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid)
30 devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
31 /dev/md5 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
32 /dev/md1 on /usr type xfs (rw)
33 /dev/md2 on /var type xfs (rw)
34 /dev/md3 on /home type xfs (rw)
35 /dev/md10 on /usr/portage type xfs (rw,noatime)
36 /dev/md11 on /space/01 type xfs (rw,noatime)
37 /dev/md12 on /space/02 type xfs (rw,noatime)
38 /dev/md13 on /space/03 type xfs (rw,noatime)
39 none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
40
41 (swap is mirrored too)
42
43 My boot partition is ext2 (to make aboot happy) and about ~40MB in size.
44 ext3 doesn't make sense, because the journal also needs space but
45 would work too...
46
47 If one disk fails, I have no downtime and loose no data.
48
49 I hope this helps a little bit with your decisions.
50
51 greets
52
53 Marc