From: Marc Giger <gigerstyle@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] alpha newbie question
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:03:49

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:42:35 -0500
"Nick Smith" <nick.smith79@×××××.com> wrote:

> On 3/2/06, Ben de Luca <bedel@×××××××.net> wrote: > > > > > > I don't know if the bootloader can boot off ext3 partitions; I've > > > never > > > tried. You'll have to dig into the docs to find out. > > > > ext3 is ext2 with a journal. so if it can see ext2 it can see ext3 > > --
Wow, 10 mails in one day! Is this a new record for this list?:-) I just want to say that it is relatively easy to boot from a software raid1. Since the discs are bitwise mirrored, you can mount a single partition directly. This is also the trick behind booting from a raid0 array. It doesn't boot from raid but reads just a single partition from the raid. I should mention that you shouldn't mount a part from the array read-write... My setup is as following: /dev/md0 on / type xfs (rw) proc on /proc type proc (rw) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw) udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw) /dev/md5 on /boot type ext2 (rw) /dev/md1 on /usr type xfs (rw) /dev/md2 on /var type xfs (rw) /dev/md3 on /home type xfs (rw) /dev/md10 on /usr/portage type xfs (rw,noatime) /dev/md11 on /space/01 type xfs (rw,noatime) /dev/md12 on /space/02 type xfs (rw,noatime) /dev/md13 on /space/03 type xfs (rw,noatime) none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw) (swap is mirrored too) My boot partition is ext2 (to make aboot happy) and about ~40MB in size. ext3 doesn't make sense, because the journal also needs space but would work too... If one disk fails, I have no downtime and loose no data. I hope this helps a little bit with your decisions. greets Marc -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list