From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] DAC960 partitioning during install?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:21:13
1 On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 10:08:49AM -0500, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Jay Maynard wrote: [Fri Feb 06 2004, 03:39:19AM EST]
3 > > I was able to get there by defining both DOS partitions and BSD disklabels,
4 > > with identical layouts.
5 > I'd be curious to see this. Would you post the partition tables?
6
7 cdimage root # fdisk /dev/sda
8 This disk has both DOS and BSD magic.
9 Give the 'b' command to go to BSD mode.
10
11 Command (m for help): p
12
13 Disk /dev/sda: 4290 MB, 4290600960 bytes
14 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 521 cylinders
15 Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
16
17 Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
18 /dev/sda1 3 34 257040 82 Linux swap
19 /dev/sda2 35 521 3911827+ 83 Linux
20
21 Command (m for help): b
22
23 BSD disklabel command (m for help): p
24
25 3 partitions:
26 # start end size fstype [fsize bsize cpg]
27 a: 3 34 32 swap
28 b: 35 521 487 ext2
29 c: 1 521 521 unused 0 0
30
31 BSD disklabel command (m for help): q
32 cdimage root #
33
34 The same trick works for /dev/rd/disc0/disc, for the DAC960. I don't know
35 how far this can be pushed, but I suspect that it will work as long as
36 partitions can be defined in the DOS table with the same dimensions as the
37 partitions in the BSD disklabel. I don't think they have to be in the same
38 order,, and I think that partitions in an extended DOS partition can be defined
39 to match partitions in the BSD disklabel. I haven't played with any of this,
40 however. It's only necessary until the system is installed far enough to be
41 booted off of the target disk. I suspect, but haven't verified, that writing
42 aboot to the drive will overlay the DOS partition table, and so the system
43 cannot be rebooted from the LiveCD and used to work with the target disk
44 once that has been done without redefining a DOS partition table (and, thus,
45 clobbering aboot).
48 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list