From: Martijn Heemels <martijn@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] installing Gentoo for Alpha on LVM and software Raid?
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:14:08
1 Hello people,
2
3 I received an Alphaserver 800 5/500 from a friend and want to install Gentoo
4 on it.
5 The box has 4 SCSI harddisks in it, and I would like to create a
6 Software-Raid5 for the / partition. The /boot partition will receive it's
7 own Raid1.
8 On this Raid5 I want to use LVM (or LVM2) to create partitions. There are
9 plenty howto's that describe such a process.
10
11 So, I started by downloading the Gentoo for Alpha 2005.1 Universal disc and
12 can boot succesfully from it. However, I was a bit surprised to find no
13 userspace tools for Raid or LVM2 on the disc. None of the commands I find in
14 howto's on the net seem to be available.
15
16 'modprobe raid5' reveals that the modules are available although I haven't
17 tried the dm-mod modules (for LVM2). All the tools needed to actually create
18 and maintain both the Raid and the LVM are not present. I seem to remember
19 the 2005.0 disc had at least the Raid tools, although the SCSI driver locked
20 up on me a under load. Seeing that the error messages on bootup have
21 disappeared on 2005.1 I want to give it another try.
22
23 I'm relatively experienced with Gentoo x86 but am just finding my way around
24 an Alpha.
25
26 Do any of you use a similar setup, or have any tips on how to get the
27 necessary tools? It seems strange that the Alpha cd doesn't have these
28 tools, while many other archs do have them, especially since the Alpha is
29 well suited to be a server.
30
31 Any ideas?
32