From: "Donsbach
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alpha] LiveCD refuses to boot on Takara
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:27:19
Hi all,

Time to come out of the closet so to speak. I've been fiddling with
Gentoo on my XLT (XL366).
I was having some moderate success with the 1.4rc1 stage1 but it
encountered some build errors along the way. Q: Is there a log file
where all the output of "emerge sync" goes?

So, then I poked around and saw that the 1.4 experimental stages were a
bit newer, so, I decided to try those. I didn't get as far. I also got
the "FATAL: kernel too old" error when I tried to do a "chroot" . Oh by
the way, I am currently running RH 6.2 with a 2.2.19 kernel (yes, old I

So, it would seem there is something incompatible with the Stage1/LiveCD
and a running 2.2 kernel.
What would folks recommend using for a kernel to boot from instead?

I had one other problem with the 1.4rc1 install in that I couldn't do a
"mount --bind" . It said the operation wasn't supported by the kernel
(or something to that effect). How important is that? I just skipped it.

Looking forward to a running Gentoo system...
Jeff D