From: Andrew Gaylard <ag@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] alpha newbie question
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:41:09
1 kloeri@g.o wrote:
2
3 >That should work fine using a hardware raid controller. If using
4 >software raid I'd recommend against using raid on /. Even if you can
5 >apply some hackish solution to make it boot the bootloader won't
6 >understand software raid so it can only be a hack. / isn't worth all
7 >that trouble in my opinion as it can easily be rebuilt if needed.
11 Surely, all the bootloader needs to know about is /boot?
12 On my alpha I had no end of trouble trying to use XFS for /,
13 until I realised that the bootloader only understood ext2.
14 The solution was to make a separate ext2 partition for /boot,
15 put the kernels there.
16
17 In this way, the bootloader can find the kernels and load them,
18 and the kernels know how to mount / as type XFS.
19
20 Surely similar reasoning applies to software RAID?
21 (I haven't tried it, but I am very curious to know...)
22
23 Now an unrelated question: can I add IDE disks to my 433au
24 (Miata)? If so, are there certain types that are recommended?
25 Are there any limitations? (e.g. must I boot off SCSI disks?)
26
27 Also, under Tru64, I could make bootable tape backups.
28 Is there a way to get similar functionality in Linux?
29
30 Thanks,
31 Andrew.
32 --