From: "Donsbach
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alpha] Gentoo Alpha questions
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:54:18
1 Marc Giger wrote:
2 On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 10:14:27 -0500
3 Jean-Sébastien Guay <jean_seb@×××××××××.ca> wrote:
4
5 >> Hi everyone,
6 >>
7 >> Thanks for the answers. There are two other things I wanted to know...
8 >>
9 >> 1. Did anyone with a milo-only machine (like my Alpha XL-366) have
10 >> trouble booting from the LiveCD? I was never able to boot from the
11 >> Debian installation CD, and had to start the installation from
12 >> diskettes...
13 >
14 > Jeff?
15
16 Yes, I believe I did have a problem with the LiveCD. It hung while loading ther kernel. I suspect that the kernel on the LiveCD was not built with the "lagacy_start_address" option needed for MILO machines. I'm not sure about that though. I also have not tried the new LiveCD image that Jay put up for download last week.
19 >> 2. Are there often problems compiling stuff like what Jeff talked
20 >> about in his message? I would hate my server to be down for a day/week
21 >> because some new version of an essential daemon (like exim, sshd,
22 >> apache) refused to compile.
23 >>
24 >I think you got a wrong impression. It's rather an exception that a package can not be compiled.
25 > ALL ebuilds which are marked stable are stable especially on alpha (mistakes happens).
26
27 The only package giving me problems so far is Samba. I had been trying 2.2.8a, the one currently marked stable. I tried both with and without USE="-cups". It didn't make a difference. I still got the include conflicts. I just tried Samba 3 and got the same thing during emerge -
28
29 Compiling dynconfig.c
30 In file included from /usr/include/linux/vfs.h:4,
31 from /usr/include/linux/fs.h:14,
32 from /usr/include/linux/capability.h:17,
33 from /usr/include/sys/capability.h:35,
34 from include/includes.h:355,
35 from dynconfig.c:21:
36 /usr/include/asm/statfs.h:12: error: redefinition of `struct statfs'
37 make: *** [dynconfig.o] Error 1
38
39 !!! ERROR: net-fs/samba-3.0.2a failed.
40 !!! Function src_compile, Line 171, Exitcode 2
41 !!! SAMBA pieces
42
43 Jeff D
46 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list