From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] ebuild update for Xorg-x11
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:25:05
Brian C. Parkhurst wrote:[Tue Oct 26 2004, 01:20:34PM EDT]
> I've found that the Xorg-x11 build on alpha a bit unstable.. > That is until I made a very minor modification to the ebuild file. > I added an entry for alpha systems and ALLOWEDFLAGS to include -fPIC -DPIC > > > alpha) ALLOWED_FLAGS="${ALLOWED_FLAGS} -mtune -fPIC -DPIC" ;;
I don't get it... This just changes what you're allowed to pass in via your own CFLAGS variable. If xorg-x11 is unstable on alpha due to PIC issues, then we need to fix the Makefiles to include -fPIC where necessary. OTOH, usually lacking -fPIC results in a build failure, not run-time failures. Are you sure this is what made the difference for you? Regards, Aron -- Aron Griffis Gentoo Linux Developer