From: Rikard Johnels <rikjoh@××××××.se>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Disk image? and other general questions
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:04:40
On Tuesday 05 October 2004 03.50, Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:
> Hello, > > This question might strike you as a bit bizarre, but here goes anyways. > > I have an Alpha XL currently running Debian. I would like to see how > Gentoo works on it, but I would especially like to have the option to > back out and go back to my running system if it doesn't work (or I don't > like it, though I doubt that frankly). Is there a way of making a > complete "disk image" of my currently running system? By "disk image", I > mean all files, permissions, filesystem configuration, partitions, etc. > If possible, I would like to be able to put that image onto a network > drive (since the current drives on the system don't have the space to > fit such an image). > > If I was able to do that, I would be able to restore from that image if > something were to go wrong. > > The Alpha is currently my household's gateway/firewall, web server, file > server, etc. That's why I need to know that even after a few days of > compiling sources for Gentoo, I can go back at any time. > > > Also, somewhat unrelated -- How does Gentoo handle configuration files? > I mean, I know a bit about the portage system, the emerge command that > updates all the packages on your machine. But that raises the question, > what happens if I had to massively modify a certain software package's > config files, and then that package is updated and the config file has > new options, a new format, whatever. Does it do it the way Debian does > it (which is one reason I'd like to move away from Debian -- it just > gives you the option to keep your file, or overwrite with the new one, > no in between)? Or does it do it in a smart way, for example letting you > merge differences "à la" CVS? > > Thanks in advance. I'd very much like to try out Gentoo, but if > possible, with as little risk as possible. > > J-S
If you have another linux box running, I would do the "backup" via NFS. 1. Export a directory on the second linux (with ample space). 2. Boot the Alpha into a rescue system via a cd 3. Setup the networkcard and ip-adress 4. Mount the NFS share on lets say /mnt/ 4. do a "dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/diskimage.img" (if you have the instalation on /dev/sda) That would produce (aside from lots of network traffic) a huge image of your current setup. In case of emergency, just redo the steps above but change the dd to "dd if=/mnt/diskimage.img of=/dev/sda" There are probably nice switches to dd to make it smaller. I wouldnt use zip or any other compressors incase you get an error. You might not be able to recover the image... -- /Rikard ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Rikard Johnels email : rikjoh@××××××.se Web : Mob : +46 735 05 51 01 ------------------------ Public PGP fingerprint ---------------------------- < 15 28 DF 78 67 98 B2 16 1F D3 FD C5 59 D4 B6 78 46 1C EE 56 > -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list