From: Marc Giger <gigerstyle@×××.ch>
To: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-alpha@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Re: Problem with bootstrap today (10/29/03 14:00)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:57:56
1 > > Assembler messages:
2 > > linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/alpha/vfork.S: 63: Error:
3 > > can't resolve
4 > > '0' {.text section} - 'L0' {.text section}
5 > > ...
6 > > sys-libs/glibc-2.3.2-r1 failed.
7 >
8 > The problem here is that you're using a newer version of gcc than
9 > expected. (Not that this is your fault; it's probably a problem in
10 > bootstrap.sh or in KEYWORDS). The versions of glibc in the portage
11 > tree have some bad assembly which compiles with the older gcc but not
12 > wiht the newer gcc.
13 >
14 > Originally I "fixed" this problem by demoting the stable version of
15 > glibc on alpha. This was a bad idea, though, because it broke lots of
16 > existing installations when glibc downgraded.
17 >
18 > The alternative fix was to restrict the version of gcc. This is a
19 > safer fix. In reality we're just waiting for the most recent glibc
20 > fixes to hit the portage tree since they solve the assembly problems.
21
22 I have found a fix for that... On my machine I have installed gcc 3.3.2
23 and glibc 2.3.2-r7 with the little patch.
24
25 Attached the patches for glibc-2.3.2-r7. But I don't remember exactly if
26 both of them are needed.
27
28 greets
29