From: FIVAZ Fabien <Fabien.Fivaz@×××××.ch>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Installation on a Digital Personal Workstation 433au
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:56:44
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm a long time user of x86 Gentoo. Yesterday, I managed to access a Digital PWS 433au. So I decided to install Gentoo for Alpha on it, from stage 1. After about 8 hours of compiling, the system works well. I had some troubles with SRM because it auto-booted Digital UNIX. I had to disconnect SCSI disk to gain access to the SRM console (I didn't find any help about how to desactivate auto-boot). But after that, I could boot from the Live CD and install everything. The Tulip network interface driver didn't worked, so I used de4x5, which, after waiting a few minutes, worked. I had a kernel panic on IDE CD detection, so I had to disconnect the CD-ROM (I don't use it, so it does not matter). But does someone has some informations about which driver to use ? I'm now rebuilding the kernel with CMD640 support, hope this will fix the problem.
4
5 After that, I'll build xfree. My problem is that the box still has it's original TGA2 graphic card which is not supported by xfree. Can I change the graphic board with *ANY* pci card ? Or do I have to search for a Alpha-specific card ?
6
7 Thanks to the Alpha team...
8
9 Fabien