From: nick thompson <nicholas.thompson1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] alphaserver 1000 4/266M
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 03:06:04
1 Thomas Cort wrote:
2 > Welcome Nick,
5 >> Anyone who has one of these machines, or knows anything about them,
6 >> please let me know the goings on.
9 > I have an AlphaServer 1000 4/233. I think it is pretty similar to what
10 > you've got. A few things I ran into during the install....
11 >
12 > The CD-ROM drive wouldn't boot the live CD. I'm not sure if you'll run
13 > into the same problem since the drive was really old and could have
14 > just been broken. I replaced it with a used SCSI CD-ROM for $10 from
15 > the local computer store and it booted just fine.
16 >
17 > If it doesn't power on at all, make sure the top panel of the case is
18 > on and properly in place. The middle of the top panel of the case has a
19 > small piece of metal oriented downwards. When the top panel is put back
20 > in place properly, the small piece of metal will press down on a
21 > switch. When the switch isn't pressed down, the system will refuse to
22 > power on.
25 >> Anyone who wants to tell a first time Alpha user some advice, I'm
26 >> listening. :)
29 > A few things to remember when partitioning.... "the first cylinder
30 > cannot be used as the [bootloader] image will be placed there," so you
31 > should start your partitions after the first cylinder. This is in the
32 > documentation, but is easy to miss. Also, the bootloader (aboot) can
33 > only boot kernels from ext2 and ext3 partitions. If you want to use
34 > another filesystem for the root filesystem, you'll need to create a
35 > separate /boot partition.
36 >
37 > You CFLAGS should look like this "-mcpu=ev4 -pipe -O2 -mieee"
38 > I might be wrong about the mcpu value (it could be ev45), check the
39 > "cpu model" line in /proc/cpuinfo to see which is correct. The -mieee
40 > enables full IEEE floating point support.
41 >
42 > Documentation is available here:
43 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/alpha/doc/index.xml
44 >
45 > You can ask for help on this mailing list, in #gentoo-alpha on
46 > irc.freenode.net, and on the forums in the "Alternative Architecture"
47 > forum. Bugs can be reported on http://bugs.gentoo.org
48 >
49 > I hope that helped. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
50 >
51 > -Thomas
52 >
53 > PS: if you want to impress your friends, you can change the text
54 > displayed on the LCD by typing "SET OCP_TEXT MyText" (without quotes)
55 > into the SRM console and rebooting. A picture of this is on my blog
56 > http://mediumbagel.org/nucleus/index.php?itemid=9&catid=4
57 >
58 Anyone else have experience with a machine of this type? I am finally
59 able to work on it now that I have reclaimed some room in my unix
60 dungeon. :) Any info at all appreciated.
61
62 Nick
63
64 "All unix, all the time."