From: kloeri@g.o
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] alpha newbie question
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:02:20
On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 10:33:41PM -0500, Nick Smith wrote:
> i just got my first alpha box, its an alpha server 400, i have 3x9gig > scsi drives in it. i was wondering if you can boot off of raid5 or > even raid1? i know some of my sparc's had a problem with it, but this > is new territory for me. >
That should work fine using a hardware raid controller. If using software raid I'd recommend against using raid on /. Even if you can apply some hackish solution to make it boot the bootloader won't understand software raid so it can only be a hack. / isn't worth all that trouble in my opinion as it can easily be rebuilt if needed. Instead, protect /home and other important data (mail, websites, ..) using raid but leave the system non-raided and simple. All this is meant as a general advice and applies to all archs, not just alpha or sparc. Hope this helps. Regards, Bryan Østergaard -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-alpha] alpha newbie question Andrew Gaylard <ag@××××××××.org>