From: "Jean-Sébastien Guay" <jean_seb@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] 2.6 kernel on Alpha ?
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 04:01:37
1 Hello Matthew,
2
3 >I am able to compile and boot a UP kernel, but I continuously
4 >get these messages on screen during boot and later in the
5 >system logs
6 >
7 >[kernel] sd 0:0:0:0: M_REJECT to send for : 1-2-3-1.
8 >
9 >seems to come from the SCSI SYM53C8XX_2 driver which handles the
10 >Symbios 53c810 controller chip. I am using these settings in
11 >the kernel config
12 >CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_2=y
13 >CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_DMA_ADDRESSING_MODE=0
14 >CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=16
15 >CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=16
16 ># CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_IOMAPPED is not set
17 >(I tried using IOMAPPED and different DMA modes and number of TAGs
18 >also, but the message still shows up)
19 >
20 >in 2.4.30, the driver version is sym-2.1.17a and it works fine
21 >(without any of these REJECT messages), while 2.6.12.5, the
22 >driver version is 2.2.x I believe.
23 >
24 >does anyone on the list know of an issue which could cause this ?
25 >is the REJECT message a cause for concern ? (system seem to work
26 >fine as before)
29 I have this problem with my SYM53C810 controller too, and the only
30 solution I've found (that worked) was to manually modify the kernel's
31 SCSI driver. See this page for the details :
32 http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2005/05/msg00041.html
33
34 From what I understand (which may well be a simplistic understanding of
35 the real situation), the problem is that the drive connected to the
36 controller is FAST-WIDE SCSI 2, but the controller can't do WIDE. The
37 driver tries to set it to WIDE, then send some data to see if it works,
38 and should fail (the second if in the code in the above page) but
39 doesn't, so the controller is left in WIDE mode even though it doesn't
40 support it and that's why it gives those messages. The mystery is why
41 the WIDE mode transfer doesn't fail as it should.
42
43 What I've done is comment out the whole section of code (starting with
44 the if right after the /* test width */ comment and ending with the
45 closing curly brace for that if) and then compile the kernel. That way
46 the driver never sets the controller to WIDE mode at all. Works great.
47 I'd really like someone to find a more sophisticated solution that
48 commenting out the whole lot, maybe fixing the test that should fail but
49 doesn't? Unfortunately my knowledge of Linux kernel drivers is too
50 limited to do that.
51
52 This modification affects the SCSI driver, though, which in my case
53 isn't a problem since I'm only using this controller, but if your
54 machine has another controller that should support WIDE mode, then this
55 change will probably affect it too... Watch out for that.
56
57 I wonder also why the patch YosWinK pointed to affects a totally
58 different source file... I'm not sure it's the same problem, because I'm
59 on the RedHat-Alpha mailing list too and haven't heard of this specific
60 problem. Perhaps it addresses another problem in the 53C810 code on Alpha.
61
62 Other than that minor problem, I've been running a 2.6 kernel for a
63 couple months now on my AlphaXL 366 with a 50GB SCSI-2 drive. Runs
64 great. Of course, it's a single processor machine so I can't help you
65 with the other problem you're having.
66
67 Hope this helps,
68
69 J-S